No one has ever claimed that getting dressed while pregnant is easy. Most days, I consider throwing on something similar to a potato sack. Why? Because it will fit, be comfortable, and requires two brain cells. But I’ve learned that losing your fashion identity during a time when so much is already changing is not the answer. Getting dressed as a (mainly) stay-at-home mom has become increasingly important for me to feel like the old working me. So, how do you find your style when you have to search through brands, fits and styles that are all new to you? Here are some of my tips:
- DON’T CHANGE YOUR STYLE If you didn’t wear empire tops before maternity – don’t start now (PLEASE don’t start now!!) Babydoll tops are not on trend or flattering. And make you look, well, very pregnant.
- FIND YOUR DENIM STYLE As long as it’s still comfortable for you, find denim that fits. I, personally, dislike styles that pull up over my belly. I’d rather have the elastic under my belly. See these Madewell or Citizen of Humanity styles.
- OVERSIZED BLOUSES AND BUTTON DOWNS These are on trend and will look great paired with jeans. They will also leave you room to grow, while keeping you comfortable. The trend was practically designed for us pregnant ladies.
- LAYER You probably won’t have to buy new maternity jackets/cardigans. Wear them unzipped/unbuttoned and even over basic tees to add back your personal style.
- SHOW OFF THAT BUMP! I have loved wearing a few non-maternity form-fitting stretchy dresses, which I bought knowing that I may stretch them out for good. Personally, there is just something I like about wearing “normal” clothes. And, if you are comfortable with form-fitting, it always looks great to show off your bump.
- JUST ADD SNEAKERS The active shoe trend is still in and will add comfort and a cool street-style to any look. Especially love them paired back with dresses.
- ACCESSORIZE Wear some lipstick. Add a cute hat. Throw on some earrings. Do what makes you feel good and completes a look. Good accessorizing can turn a basic white tee into so much more.
Look 1: While black is always slimming, I still love white denim – throughout the whole fall season. Pairing denim with an oversized blouse or tee and then layering with a great “it” piece helps to complete any outfit.
Look 2: One of my go-to dresses. It’s effortless and cute just on it’s own but the sneakers help make it an even easier piece, if possible. And the bold lip helped pop the blue and white stripes a bit.