I’ve always loved getting dressed up, but doing so while pregnant poses a whole new host of challenges. When investing in a new maternity occasion outfit, I try to think as practically as possible: Is it my style? How versatile is it? Can I repurpose it to wear a few different ways? Here are more of my tips for pregnancy style and staying true to yourself during this ever-changing time.
- FIND RETAILERS/BRANDS WHO CARRY GREAT MATERNITY STYLES Here are my go-tos:
- HATCH – I’ve loved this brand since they launched. Their styling is spot on and it is nice to know that there are cool styles designed to fit your evolving figure instead of trying to fit into your non-pregnancy styles. I even have a Hatch dress that I wear not pregnant and get tons of compliments! They also have a denim collaboration with CURRENT/ELLIOT and a new workout collaboration with Bandier.
- Shopbop – A good maternity section for denim, basic tops and dresses.
- Nine In The Mirror – High end, non maternity clothes that all work while pregnant.
- ASOS – Whatever you may need, they will have it.
- Zara – Keep up on the trends, just size up.
- KNOW THE STYLES THAT WORK FOR YOU You may still be able to get away with your non-maternity empire waisted dresses (see the second look below) if they have stretchy bodices or the empire waist is high enough. Or if you prefer a-line, flowy, or body conscious styles, stick with what makes you feel best.
- WHEN IN DOUBT, BLACK IS GOOD Black pants, black tops, black dresses – they are all so easy to dress up. It serves as the perfect blank canvas to add great shoes, a fab bags, a statement jacket, some major jewelry or bold makeup (just not all together…).
- JUMPSUITS I love a good one-piece pregnant or not. But they really are just about the cutest thing on a pregnant shape.
- LAYER TO DRESS UP OR DRESS DOWN YOUR LOOK For a dressy event: layer an over-the-top jacket over your dress or one-piece. Dress it down with a jean jacket or make it sophisticated with a blazer. Oversized cardigans are perfect during the day.
- KEEP PRINTS SMALL There is a lot more of you to cover. Wearing a large print will only make you look larger. Opt for a smaller repeat.
I love a good jumpsuit and this one by HATCH is a favorite, with the off-the-shoulder detail. This one piece can go in a million different directions. The off-the-shoulder design is the perfect neckline for a major statement earring, like these from J.Crew.
I love that I can still wear this Ulla Johnson dress, since it has a stretchy empire waist, it works perfectly – for now. The boots dress this look down, while a platform sandal or a suede tall boot would take it beautifully into a fall, dressing it up a bit.